Monday, December 10, 2012

Pear Claw

Do you ever make something and when you eat it you are convinced its the best thing you have ever made? This is that for me. Last time I made them I gave some to my Aunt and Uncle, who told me they were delicious and my Aunt said she had to have the recipe. So Aunt Dawn, this one's for you...

Anytime the weather gets colder I feel the need to buy pears. While eating them fresh is always delicious I wanted a way to serve them hot. That's when I thought of stuffing them inside a pastry! The first batch I made turned out so great and they kind of looked like a bear claw would, thats how they became dubbed the pear claw. 

So here is how it goes down:

Take two pears and dice them up and add them to a bowl that has a stick of melted butter in it. Then add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves then stir well. 













Then take your pastry sheet and roll it out so that its nice and thin. Then cut the pastry sheet into about 3" x 3" squares. 






Place a spoonful of the pear mixture into a pastry square then top with a dollop of the whipped cream cheese. Fold the pastry into itself to seal your "claw". 







                               

Once you've got them all sealed and loaded onto your sheet pan you can brush them with and egg wash. I've never really believed in an egg wash before now. Not that I meant to defy years of bakers, I just never really noticed the importance. Well now I am a believer, it really does give it a nice golden sheen, and since the pastry sheet has been thinned out it the egg wash makes it feel a whole 'nother level of flakiness.



Now bake them at 350 for 20-25 minutes. 


While you wait for them to cool you can make the glaze. For the glaze you'll whisk together the powdered sugar and water in your bowl that had the pear mixture in it. I like doing the glaze in the pear bowl because any left over butter or spices will get incorporated into your glaze and make it extra yummy! Once the pear claws are cooled go ahead and brush them with the glaze. 





If you like pears, these are for you. You take a bite and it is truly a flavor explosion. You get the crunch pastry and the soft warm pears that are filled with a butter spicy flavor, the flavor balances out with the creaminess of the cream cheese. It is perfect every bite. As always, there is a 4x6 recipe card for you if you'd like a copy. 


2 comments:

  1. you are no longer the child I remember but have become a "Julia Child". Thanks for the notoriety and the recipe. Love it and you.


    Aunt Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had one of these right now!!!

    ReplyDelete