Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Repeat the sounding joy...

If you know me, it's no secret that I am a fan of Christmas music. In fact, I own 516 "holiday" songs. 516?!? I was a little taken back when I realized it, then of course I rejoiced into song. After all, tis the season to be jolly. So don your gay apparel and join me for a caroling good time with 15 of my all time favorite Christmas songs.

Brenda lee-rocking around the christmas tree  You know for me, it's just not Christmas with out this song ringing it in. Brenda Lee has lots of great Christmas songs, but this one is pretty cheerful. 

Elvis Presley-blue christmas I picked this because it is unmistakably Elvis. Such a great voice for such a great song. 

Frank Sinatra- the christmas waltz This isn't the average popular song but with its classic waltz timing and Frank's glorious voice it had to make the cut. 

Whitney Houston- joy to the world Whitney takes this song to church. She sings this song backed with a choir and it makes you want to get out of your seat and sing and dance right along with her. 

Stevie wonder- what christmas means to me I've always adored this song. It is packed with all things that Christmas mean to me, candles, pretty lights, snow, love, it has it all!

Andy Williams- it's the most wonderful time of the year If I had numbered these in any order, this song would be number one hands down. It has this big band sound that welcomes in the holiday cheer and sings all about the "happiest season of all". Plus you get Andy Williams who had 3 platinum albums and a voice that makes snow shine. 

Mariah Carey- all I want for Christmas is you This song rings famous for me since middle school. In 8th grade for a Christmas assembly me and 4 of my friends danced to this song in front of the entire school. I think I fall in love with this song more and more every year. 

The Chipmunks-the chipmunk song (christmas don't be late) I think this requires no explanation. Any song that includes chipmunks singing about Christmas is a win for me. Oh Alvin. 

Ella fitzgerald-frosty the snowman This song always makes me thinks of the claymation movie. Ella does it the best, now if we could just get a white christmas...

Sarah Mclachlan-I'll be home for christmas Sarah does a great job with this song. It's somber melody and her airy voice add a yearning to the song that takes it too a whole new level. 

Otis redding- merry christmas, baby Otis will always hold a special place in my heart. He sings with so much heart and soul. This song has just enough funk and jingle bells to find the perfect balance of motown and Christmas. 
 
CeeLo green-This christmas This Christmas is definitely one of my favorite songs by any artist that sings it. I think Chris Brown actually does a really good job with it too, such a slow start and dramatic build up in his version. However, CeeLo takes the fudge. He has magically blended classic sounds with his upbeat spin on it. 

Coldplay/Chris Martin-have yourself a merry little christmas Please don't get me wrong Judy Garland makes me cry almost every time I hear her sing this song. I just fell in love when I heard Chris Martin sing this song. His voice adds a melancholy simplicity to the piano that accompanies him. 

Michael Buble- christmas (baby please come home) Since I couldn't have all 15 songs be Buble (the man does no wrong), I decided to pick this one. Maybe because I pretend he is singing to me and together he and I deck the halls? His velvety tenor-ness is the perfect match for this timeless song. 

Dean martin- baby it's cold outside Gosh this song is so fun. I love ALL the versions of it, especially when Zooey Deschanel and Will Ferrell sing it in Elf, so I had to go back to basics and pick a Rat Pack member for this song. Sometimes an old favorite is a favorite for a reason. 

*just missed the list* Kelly Clarkson-my grown up christmas list The lyrics of this song are so cheesy but admittedly have made me cry before. All she wants is everyone to have a friend and right would always win and love would never end, what is more perfect than that? 

It's funny to me after years of singing these tunes you don't realize how odd/interesting/dated some of the lyrics are. How in the world did the ox and lamb keep time for that little drummer boy? Frank may say it best in "mistletoe and holly", "overeating, merry greetings from relatives you don't know". I feel sorry (or excited) for Little Will who in "up on the housetop" gets in his stocking, tacks, a ball and a "whip that cracks". Yet year after year I sing these with cheer, I can't help but love it. Christmas music for me is like an old friend I'll never forget, but maybe I'm ok with visiting them only once a year. I hope this holiday season is treating you well. Use it as an excuse to hug a little longer and squeeze a little tighter, cherish what you have and the loved ones who surround you. Merry Christmas, baby.



No comments:

Post a Comment